POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : lenses, light and photons : Re: lenses, light and photons Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:09:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: lenses, light and photons
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 26 Aug 1999 23:14:33
Message: <37c60299@news.povray.org>
I think you may be confusing a Fresnel lens with a diffraction grating.
Fresnel is simply a compression of the relevant portions of a standard lens.
...or maybe I am wrong. But I have used the Fresnel measurements to make a
solar reflector that worked just like the parabolic dish reflector I modeled
it on.

gregg <gp### [at] nmtedu> wrote in message news:37c5fb73@news.povray.org...
> Philip;
> Your attempt to model the physical behavior of a fresnel lens using
POV-Ray
> is probably doomed to failure, even with the "photon patch", because a
> fresnel lens, unlike an ordinary glass lens, does not "bend" light by
virtue
> of slowing down light differentially along the radial axis, but by wave
> interference and the mutual interaction of an infinite number of spherical
> wavelets eminating from the disturbance, in this case, concentric circular
> grooves on a transparent substrate. Since the photon patch probably relies
> on a simple particle model and not a wave model of light, it is doubtful
> that you will be able to reproduce this effect. To realistically model
light
> in all its glory, one must incorporate both particle and wave behavior.
The